Turmeric Gojju / ಅರಿಶಿನ ಗೊಜ್ಜು is a very traditional and oldest recipe from Malnad Karnataka region.
This recipe is made with fresh turmeric root, jaggery, coconut and spices . Since the turmeric has a medical component this dish is extremely nutritious and healthy.
- 1 inch Fresh Turmeric root
- 2 table spoon freshly grated coconut
- 4-5 Red chilli
- 1 clove
- 5-6 Curry leaves
- 1/2 spoon fresh Tamarind
- 1/2 sp Urad dal
- 1 sp Coriander seed
- 1/2 sp Cumin Seed
- 3-4 Fenugreek seed
- 1/4 sp Mustard seed
- 3 tablespoon Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 1 spoon Coconut Oil
- In a kadai dry roast the red chilli,curry leaves, urad dal, coriander seed, cumin seed, mustard seed, clove, fenugreek seed about 3-4 minutes in a medium heat.
- Transfer this to mixer jar, and add freshly grated coconut, thump size tamarind, peeled turmeric.
- Blend in a mixture make a fine paste.
- In a same kadai over medium low heat add oil.
- Then add turmeric paste, jaggery and salt to taste.
- Mix well cook in a low heat about 3-4 minutes.
- Add water if required or if the mixture is too think.
- Cook 3-4 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Enjoy with rice and spoon full of ghee.