Manni is one of the popular delicacies from the udupi and mangalore .This is one of the most traditional sweet recipe from Dakshina Kannada, Karnataka. It is also called “Halbai” “Mani” Rice Pudding””Rice Halwa”.
- 150gms raw rice
- 150gms fresh grated coconut
- 3 pods cardamom
- 100gms Jaggery
- Ghee for greasing the pan & plate
- Soak the rice for 2-3 hours
- Grind the grated coconut with a little warm water to a paste.
- Put this mixture into a muslin cloth and squeeze to extract the thick milk. Add more water to this thick paste, grind it again. Put this mixture into a muslin cloth and squeeze to extract the thin milk.
- Grind the rice to a fine paste with a cup of coconut milk.
- Now add cardamom powder and jaggery . Mix well.
- Put this rice mixture to the deep nonstick pan. In a low medium heat stir continuously until the batter thickens .
- This procedure take at least 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into well buttered plates or on banana leaves.Spread it nicely.
- Steam this for 5-10 minutes .
- Cut the manni in to diamond shape, serve with ghee.